Monday, March 3, 2008

To remember

Last week an interesting article on a genetic mutation identified in a family with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis was published in Science Magazine. This research will have a significant impact on the field of ALS genetics. I mention this publication because it was coauthored by my friend Steven Ackerley who tragically passed away in January. At the end of the article, I learned that the publication was dedicated to his memory.

I do not consider myself much of a religious person. For the most part, I am a scientist at heart and believe in what I can see. Still, I try to keep an open mind about what I do not understand. Regardless of whether or not I believe in a land of eternal sunshine, I know that we will always live on in the memories and lives of the people around us. Steven was a genuine individual. He has clearly left a positive impact on so many people not only as a friend, but as scientist, dedicated to understanding the cause of the devastating and deadly disease ALS.

To read the advance online publication of Steven’s publication, go to:
http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/1154584

No comments: